A Resource Guide to Help Seniors Who Don’t Have Relatives Nearby
If you have parents or grandparents who live far away, you may be worried about the fact that you can’t help them with daily tasks. Luckily, there are many ways to help your senior loved one maintain a great quality of life, even if you can’t be there yourself to provide hands-on care. Read on for resources that can help the elderly in everyday life.
Find Tools to Help Your Senior Loved One with Important Financial Decisions
Finances are often a primary concern for persons in retirement. Make sure your parents or grandparents are managing their money wisely with some helpful tools.
- If your loved one needs ongoing support, use a long-term care cost calculator to determine the expenses.
- Your senior loved one may want to sell their house to cover the move to a nursing home. Use the RedFin calculator to figure out what they’ll make if they sell.
- Make sure they have the essential estate planning paperwork done.
- Provide practical tips to help them save in retirement, like downsizing.
Leverage Technology to Help Your Loved One Navigate Everyday Challenges
Technology can make life easier and more enjoyable for seniors in many ways.
- Get them a senior-friendly cell phone to stay connected.
- Provide them with a smart assistant so they can do things like adjusting lighting and music hands-free.
- Invest in a medical alert system with fall detection to bring you both peace of mind.
- Find innovative ways to connect from afar, like virtual game nights.
Connect with Third-Party Providers to Ensure Your Loved One’s Needs Are Met
When you can’t provide hands-on help yourself, knowing there are others nearby to assist can bring you and your parents or grandparents peace of mind.
- Find a senior-specific transportation service to help them get to appointments.
- If cooking is a hassle, get a meal delivery service for them.
- For seniors who need more hands-on support, get a caregiver.
- If they are struggling with mental health issues, connect them to a virtual wellness practitioner. PDX Local offers a roundup.
Living far away from your senior loved one can be emotionally and practically challenging. However, there are many resources and tools to help you care for them from afar. Let the above guide inspire you.